GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs a variety of semi-skilled manual tasks in relation to installation, repair and maintenance of streets, water and sewer systems, equipment and other public works. Operates light maintenance equipment, power tools and hand tools. Works as a crew member under frequent supervision.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the direction of the Public Works Superintendent.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision of other employees is not normally a responsibility of a Utility Worker, although occasionally may be responsible for the supervision of one or more community service workers.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: The following are examples only and do not, by any means, include all of the duties that may be expected of this position.
· Actively participates with crews in the repair, maintenance and construction of water and sewer lines and streets.
· Performs heavy manual labor digging ditches, cutting brush and trees, removing obstacles and debris from roadways and adjacent areas, loading and unloading materials of all kinds.
· Cleans gutters, culverts and catch basins.
· Does manual labor connected with patching and maintaining streets, including the use of cold and hot mix asphalt.
· Assists in preparing grade and setting forms for concrete work.
· Participates in the repair and maintenance of public works equipment.
· Operates a variety of power and hand tools, including jackhammers, cement saws and other equipment associated with construction.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT: Knowledge of or the ability to learn the appropriate materials, methods, tools, equipment and practices involved in the construction, maintenance and repair of water and sewer systems and streets. Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees and the general public. Ability to perform strenuous manual tasks and to withstand exposure to variable weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Due to the nature of the organization considerable time is spent out-of-doors. The incumbent may be exposed to extreme weather and working conditions. Walking, standing, bending and a limited amount of crawling and climbing is required. Must be capable of lifting 100 pounds.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Must have a high school diploma or the equivalent GED. Any satisfactory equivalent combination of experience and training which ensures the ability to perform the work described above.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATION: Possession of or the ability to secure a valid Oregon Driver's License/CDL. Ability to drive vehicles with manual transmissions.